Because I don't think humans should be subjected to poor diets.

I believe everyone wants to be healthy and happy with their bodies, but nobody knows how.  There's so much conflicting advice out there, that many people just give up on figuring it out. That's where I come in. At The Reverse Vegan,  My mission is to promote awareness of the truth about nutrition based on real science, so that people can live longer, healthier lives.  I want you to question your long-held assumptions about human health, start over with an open mind, and find out for yourself what the facts really show.

Monday, September 27, 2010

The Big Bang

Disclaimer: I chose the name The Reverse Vegan because it expresses the philosophy of my diet.  However, I am not a strict reverse vegan; I include some plant based foods for flavor and variety.  But make no mistake: when I'm broke, and have to make sacrifices, plants are the first thing to go.

I'm going to start by saying, that most of what people think they know about nutrition is wrong. The conventional wisdom about nutrition is based on ideas that are 50 years old, and were not supported by science 50 years ago, let alone today. It may surprise you to learn that, despite what you've heard in the media and school health class for years, there's actually no scientific evidence that supports any link between saturated fat and heart disease, or any other illness. Most of the studies that claim to show that saturated fat is harmful, they're really only claiming correlation, which is close to meaningless.
There's a close correlation between my age and the price of gas, both gone up steadily my whole life, but that doesn't mean they have a single thing to do with each other.

In order to be scientifically meaningful, a study should establish a causal relationship. And how many studies have ever found a causal relationship between saturated fat and any health problem, with all other factors being equal? Not a single one.

The story of how saturated fat came to be the villain of modern nutrition is a long one, but the important thing to know is that it has more to do with politics than it does with science. For the whole story, check out Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.

Due to the villainization of saturated fat, people have been forced to find alternatives, which has been the real problem. I'm going to explain why saturated fat is the ideal food for humans and also why its alternatives including grains, and vegetable oils are the real culprits.

I will also be talking about the dangers of sugar, and many other foods I feel are not optimal.